http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae26/annestreadbeck/black-heart-01-1.jpg

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Our First Ever Year Lease

Kind of a big deal. Danny says he hasn't lived in the same place for a whole year in 8 years. A little less than that for me, but I understand his sentiments. I'm finding it hard to let go of cardboard boxes because I have to pack my life up in them a couple times a year. We are back to a mattress on the floor, but its ok because its a real nice one-- our first piece of furniture purchased as a married couple. It was kind of exciting. We're still working on ordering the rest.

As for our new apartment, we decided we couldn't leave the building. So we got the cheapest room they had. It's a studio that normally goes for $2,000 a month. Insane right? Fortunately for us, the downtown poshy apartment industry took a big hit with the economy ordeal and a lot of the rooms aren't selling. So we got it for WAY cheaper than $2,000.

We haven't unpacked yet. I hope Danny doesn't get embarrassed of these pictures:

Photobucket

Photobucket

My favorite part:

Photobucket

Photobucket

We did the math and it was either get a one bedroom farther away and pay transportation fees, utilities, etc or get a studio here, no transportation needed, all utilities included etc. Both options had similar square footage. I actually feel like I have more space in this studio than I did in the Wrigleyville one bedroom.

We've explored all the neighborhoods of Chicago; Wrigleyville, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Gold Coast, etc and we've got our fill. We're excited to live in River North, the shopping and nightlife neighborhood next to the Loop, the business neighborhood where Danny works.

Photobucket

The building has two towers: a condo tower and an apartment tower. We moved from the condo tower to the apartment tower. They're connected on the 9th floor where they have the gym and pool and stuff. The building takes up a whole block so there are separate entrances on the 1st floor for each tower. Two doormen etc on opposite ends of the block. The first 8 floors are actually restaurants, grocery store, bed bath and beyond etc. The grocery store's entrance is right next to the apartment entrance which is reallly nice. The apartment tower is a little taller than the condo tower. In the condo tower we were on the 15th floor. It felt pretty high up but also like we were right in the city. Now we are on the 43rd floor. Above the city. Kind of crazy. Twinkie likes to hang out on the balcony. I don't let him outside when its windy. I'm scared he's going to blow away.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Danny's building is hidden behind that honeycomb looking tower, but its right there next to the Chicago sign. No more sketchy train rides. Work is a 5 minute, safe, fun walk. If Danny has to work late, he can walk home for dinner at 5 or 6 and then go back and finish up. Normal nights are great because it feels like he's coming home early every night.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

1 comment:

Bri and Mike Titera said...

So awesome. Seems like you should have your own reality show or something. Call me when you have time.