http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae26/annestreadbeck/black-heart-01-1.jpg

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

J'Adore Paris

So it turns out the French are only snooty bajingo jerkoffs in the airport. Air France decided to suck big time. But whatever. Our trip ended up being a day longer. After a messy ordeal, Danny took a nap, I ate 3 croissants YES 3, and then we hit the town again.

I could understand the French being annoyed at tourists. There were times when I though the subway could be less crowded. I can't imagine what it is like in tourist season. For the most part, everybody was really nice. We made the effort to speak as much French as possible and that made a difference. Everyone speaks English though, which would probably annoy me if I was French, having to know English in order to be a waiter or something. Black people loved that we were American. They would yell "Obama People!" But I think they were just acting like they love America so we'd buy their junk. (which we didn't so they called us "cheap like the chinese").

Paris was amazing. I'm so glad we went when we did. The weather was actually really great. There weren't very many tourists ( i guess tourist season starts beginning of April) so everybody was super nice to us. We had multiple groups come up to us and ask us directions in French. So I guess we did a good job at fitting in. WE always try to do this. I did some research to make sure, but nothing will prepare you for how good Parisian women actually look. Gretchen told me to wear my nicest clothes and she was not joking. Rules of dressing like a Parisian woman in March:

1.Wear a scarf-- you are a chump is you don't have a scar. Everybody wears scarves.
2. Wear a peacoat-- black preferably. Only dark colors.
3. Have flawless hair and makeup-- oops
4. Wear leggings with a skirt-- What are jeans? Parisian women don't know what these are.
5. Wear heals/ankle boots-- usually black of course



I got most of the look down most of the time, but i slipped up and wore jeans a lot. And I wore my chunky brown mittens the whole time which everyone stared at.

NEVER

1. Wear a back-pack/fanny-pack-- obviously you should never wear a fanny-pack in the first place though
2. Wear sensible shoes-- NEVER NEVER white tennis shoes BIG give away
3. T-shirt/sweatshirt/jeans look

I'm not kidding you could really easily tell the tourists apart from the locals by these details.

If we make it back to France it may be a more relaxing trip. But this one we were exhausted every night because we wanted to see everything.

Favorite activities

Anne: The Louvre of course

Danny: Versailles/Notre Dame

Favorite Food

Anne: Anything from the pastry shops

Danny: Anything from the sandwich vendors

Worst Food
Anne: Frog Legs

Danny: ordered something (that didn't sound like a good idea in the first place) and came out as a fried egg on a hamburger patty (a weird way of trying to cater to American tourists- I don't know)

Surprises

Anne: The dollar is sucking big time next to the Euro
All the paintings I've been studying are even more ginormous in person than I expected
The French have no problem staring, picking their nose in public, bumping into each other, and being like little mexican boys at disneyland-right on your heals in lines
still very good, although chocolate milkshakes are literally like chocolate milk shaked. (not a word I know)

Danny: Everything is actually bigger and cooler than you imagine
Escargot is actually quite good
1 is thumbs up-- not pointer finger

there were a lot more, I'll add them when i remember them

If you get a chance, please go. And ask me advise. I may save you from ordering a fried egg on top of a hamburger patty, or looking like a total loser because you didn't bring a scarf, or just missing out on some really great places.

I know you came here to see picture...I'll work on that after class...

2 comments:

Gretchen F said...

im super confused by all the pictures below? but CANT WAIT see pics!!! so jeal you got to go i LOVE paris and soooo happy you went.
ps--told ya you shoulda take ur boots ;) hehe

Manda said...

hey! don't know if you remember me.. danny's cousin nate went to argentina and learned to love fried egg on his hamburger.. so i don't know where it comes from but it's normal i guess.. still sounds gross to me though.. lol