http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae26/annestreadbeck/black-heart-01-1.jpg

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

un rêve

Welp, here's some pics!

More surprises:

Roller blade cops?


Not a vacuum. A blowdryer.

We are pros at subway systems. Good thing.



Day 1:

Caught up on some Z's then went out at night

Escargot


Danny: "actually pretty good"

Eiffel Tower

It sparkles on the hour every hour after dark until midnight. Awesome.

Day 2:

Latin district (The university is here and the Pantheon. The area is full of young people.)


Discovered the amazingness of street food

Crepe: Nutella, bananas, coconut flakes-- actually realllly good.


Every sandwich was fantastic.
Every pastry divine.

McDonalds is off the hook in Paris.


Its all chic and loungy. You order off a touch screen. Half the burgers are actually chicken sandwiches. You can order beer. You can add chicken nuggets to a hamburger combo. And everybody was doing it.


Uh wtf world. Everybody gets mad at America because corporations like McDonalds are "screwing up" the rest of the world's eating habits. Sorry you just can't get enough of the golden arches. Order off the dollar menu like us instead of ordering a super sized meal of beer, fries, big mac, and 6 piece nugs! I digress...

It would be so inspiring to go to college here. I'll just have to deal with red brick architecture for a couple more weeks.

Pantheon:


Super sweet. Was a church, but then dedicated to the French Revolutionary founders, now its a little churchy but mostly patriotic. Most of the murals were about the chick St. Genevieve who was apparently the bees knees. I guess she's the patron saint of France.



In the crypt underneath we saw Voltaire's tomb, Diderot's, Rousseau's, Victor Hugo's, the dude who invented Braille, Marie Curie, basically anybody who was anybody in France


We definitely made it over to the Moulin Rouge. I was told to go during the day. We went to the gift shop and they while i was looking around there was a tv with highlights of the show. Danny saw it, there were some dancing bedazzled girls and then he told me "hey look it's the show," I look up and a naked lady is jumping into a pool of water and an anaconda wraps around her. wtf



In the evening we went to Sacre Core (Church of the Sacred Heart)


It was up on a hill overlooking all of Paris. Very beautiful.

Day 3: We are nuts day

Versailles- Huge. Danny got camera happy. I'm only going to include a few here.


Bernini's Henry




The grounds were amazing.



We rented bikes and rode around.


There were restaraunts/snack vendors etc scattered throughout. I think its like central park for Parisians. You can go there for fun whenever. I got a little hot and I saw an icecream cone as big as me and I wanted one. Danny thought i was delusional. But it was really there. We drank Coke Light (France's diet coke) and it is not good. real yucky actually.


Then we went to Champ Elysse- kind of like Paris' Time Square. We climbed up the Arch de Triomph.

smile becoming increasingly unnatural

endless staircases


At 9 we had reservations in the eiffel tower restaurant. It was probably our best meal.

(despite the fact it looks like it was served in hell)


We slept well that night.

Day 4:

Notre Dame- even more beautiful than I imagined. Also HUGE.



Visited Quasimoto in the bell tower


And the gargoyles


Esmerelda was a litle tired from hustling all day.

(She is a gypsy for real though. They only hung outside Notre Dame. Probably saw the movie.)

The Tuileries is a park in front of the Louvre. Napolean built it. Pleasure garden. It was right next to our hotel.


Right behind that was Concorde Place- where thousands got guillatined and where Marie Antoinette was beheaded.


Day 5:

Completely devoted to the Louvre. Morning to Night.

standing over the holy grail?

Venus di Milo


Nike of Samothrace

Mona Lisa


I saw a lot of works that meant a lot to me but probably not to you





I actually can't believe how many french fries I ate in Paris.
I ate the best banana split of my life.


Day 6:

Paris Opera House. Phantom of the Opera was inspired from/was based here so we decided to be all Phantom of the Operad out and lurked all these places we were not supposed to be.







I guess youre not allowed to go past the first floor.

We got in trouble.

Montmarte district.

Touristy shops. Bought souvenirs.


Place du Terte- artist square. dudes like Picasso used to live here. Now its full of second rate artists trying to draw your picture.

I ate frog legs.


They were like white fish. Flakey, not rubery like i expected. Even though they tasted fine, really couldn't enjoy them due to the fact that they actually looked like someone chopped a little frog in half.


At night to say goodbye to Paris we rode on a glass roof boat along the Seine.


Dinner was fancy. View was sweet. And sad to say goodbye.




Day 7:

But we didn't have to say goodbye because Air France decided to be chumps. So on our second last day we were able to go to mass at Notre Dame which was pretty priceless. Then we walked around. Ate. And said goodbye again.


It was Magical.

2 comments:

Bri and Mike Titera said...

Wow. Period. So glad you went. Can't wait to hear every single detail.

Heidi said...

I'm just relieved that you both had scarves!!!! Love your pictures, the food looks amazing! Sounds like a wonderful vacation!

What does "wtf" mean?