http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae26/annestreadbeck/black-heart-01-1.jpg

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Belle's 1st Birthday- Part Quatre: The Doctor's Appointment and The Photo Dump

Photobucket

Checking back on some of these month-to-month posts I'm realizing I was a bit overly optimistic about Belle's eating habits: "She's finally getting used to it!"-nope, "She's doing much better now!"-nope. She must have taken a couple good bites the days I posted or something. The reality is, she's still largely uninterested in solids and sippy-cups. Pretty much still exclusively breastfed. There are moments in the middle of the night when Belle has been nursing for a couple hours when I say "No more Belle. NO MORE!!!" But the other %99 of the time, I'm cool with it. I will nurse until Belle is done nursing. If that's not until she turns 2-years-old, that's okay with me.

Photobucket

I used to apologize all the time for my parenting style. "No Belle doesn't eat food," "Yeah Belle goes to bed later than most adults," "Yes she sleeps in our bed with us," "We do everything wrong here okay!??!"

Photobucket

But then I saw Blossom on TV hawking her new book "Beyond the Sling." (So apparently her name is really Mayim Bialik and guess what, she's a doctor so this book is credible.) The book touts "attachment parenting" a style that insists on breastfeeding, sleeping together, slings over strollers, pretty much just being attached to your baby all the time and doing everything I do. Derived from attachment theory in developmental psychology it declares that doing all of these things is natures way and produces emotionally stable children.

Photobucket

So now when someone looks at me with crazy eyes when I say I sleep with my baby, instead of being a weenie about it I just say "I'm an attachment parent! Get off me dog!!"

So I went into Belle's 1-year appointment armed with this phrase providing the pediatrician deserved it. But she said we're cool. Belle can eat (or not eat) whatever she wants as long as I'm cool with breastfeeding forever (which I am.) And if she's getting in the hours of sleep she needs- she's getting in the hours of sleep she needs. She's developing normally- in most cases, better than normal.

Photobucket

Belle runs- that's early.

Photobucket

Belle says words. (Babies at this ages are only expected to say 1, maybe 2.)

Photobucket

Those words are "Mommy," "Daddy," "Ghee-Ghee" (Twinkie), "Hey!," "Hi," "Bye-Bye," "Yeah," "No."

Photobucket

She's still an amazing dancer.

She makes smooching noises.

Photobucket

Sometimes she blows her kisses.

Photobucket

She waves a lot now.

Photobucket

She points a lot now.

Photobucket

Belle is still in the 50th percentile for weight and the 75th for height. (A little under 20 pounds and around 30 inches tall.) She's mostly wearing 18 month outfits. Width-wise she can do smaller, its generally a length problem. Girl's "always growing out of her pants"- a favorite phrase I remember my Grandpa Rasmussen saying- because it was used while reminiscing about my Dad as a 13-year-old.

Photobucket

Belle was not digging the zoo this day. The polar bear and tiger were a little much.

Photobucket

Thankfully she had her body guard, Cora, there to protect her.

Photobucket



Photobucket

She did enjoy Mr. Singer's musical story time however.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

We got a visit from Nayree this month!

Photobucket

Cora's birthday party was the weekend before Belle's.

Photobucket

Curious George themed.

Photobucket

We all loved it.

Photobucket

Sundays, Danny and I teach the Sunbeams (3-year-olds) in the kindergarten room of the school building our church is temporarily leasing. Belle told me she thinks it's more fun than Relief Society and Sunday School.

Photobucket

Look at this cake

Photobucket

Baking is not my forte. So we had some trial runs for Belle's birthday.

Photobucket

Photobucket

And her she is being her usual crazy self. At least she is wearing a diaper...

1 comment:

Katie and Cam said...

Haha I love the attachment parenting! Seriously, whatever works. It's really annoying when people call you crazy for things you do as a parent--especially when they are NOT even parents. And we all know that if there were baby olympics Belle would SWEEP all the golds.