http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae26/annestreadbeck/black-heart-01-1.jpg

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

California Trip, Take 1

May 25-June 7

Getting There

Riding in the 15 passenger van for 18 years with my family taught me to become pretty Zen.

Try this. Picture yourself in stop and go traffic with 6 young children screaming while watching spongebob squarepants on a tv balanced on a cooler in between the driver and passenger seat- while the driver- who has totaled multiple cars is alternating between leaning back and actually watching the movie, eating carrots, and slamming on the brakes.

Oh you can't imagine that? Ok. Try this one. Picture yourself driving through the middle of nowhere, feeling like you are going to pee your pants for 3+ hours, being handed a diaper and told to go in the back and relieve yourself. No matter how hard you try, it is not happening.

Oh you can't imagine that? Ok. try this one. Picture yourself, lying on the floor of a car, uncomfortable beyond belief after driving for 10 hours, as your 13 year old brother leans over the seat in front of you- finger covering one nostril as he shoots a booger out of the other, right onto your face.

Oh you can't imagine that? Ok. Well all of those things and more ACTUALLY HAPPENED to me. Often.

I tried fighting the madness. But that only resulted in blank, confused stares at what i assume they saw as alien sister from the planet of the whining women.

The only way to survive was learning to go inside myself and breath during pandemonium. So what I'm trying to say, is an hour train ride, 6 hour delay at the airport, 1 hour taxiing on the runway, and 4 hour plane ride with a 2 month old baby and 2 year old dog who had simultaneous bladder explosions mid-take-off, was a delicious piece of cake.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Day 1

First things first. We took Belle to meet her Grandma Streadbeck for the very first time. Then we got haircuts. I hadn't had a real haircut in a year. Danny has been cutting my hair. Seriously. So I went the whole 9 yards and tried a couple new things. #1 layers- I refuse to get a short mommy cut, so this is my alternative for looking less like a hippie. #2 Lighter- Since it is summer, I was trying to be kosher and go lighter combating my normal draw to dark. Just highlights. (If I went blond, I think I would lose friends. And not to mention my identity.) Then Belle met her Fran uncles.

Photobucket

Despite this awkward positioning- they were surprisingly great with her.

Day 2

We started off the day at Nail Tek for mani-pedis. Danny loves mani-pedis. We then made our way to LA after a quick stop at Honduras Kitchen for baleadas and banana soda.

Photobucket

We spent the evening at Bri's with the Titeras, Jonesies, Alex and Erin. Perfect, except for brain-child Celia's aversion to "Baby Belled" touching her things. She got her revenge by stealing Danny's iPhone and posting Talking Tom videos on his Facebook and Twitter. "Baby Belled" will be more careful next time.

Day 3

Spent the afternoon having a friend barbecue and swim party.

Danny obviously enjoyed the barbecue.

Photobucket

But not as much as Belle enjoyed the swim.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then we stopped by the Chubbuck's and met Cameron's wife for the first time. Hello. Gorgeous and she bought Belle a present.

Day 4

Went to 6th ward. Grandma Streadbeck is better than me, Belle's own mother, at getting her to sleep. She slept in her arms the entire 3 hours.

Day 5

Memorial Day. Started the day off with some surfing.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then we made our way to Fairhaven Memorial. This time last year, in Monroe, my grandfather spoke to me on the phone, showing me where he lived, went to school, hung out with my grandma, and where his parents were buried. I didn't think this year I'd be visiting him where he was buried. But at least I got to do it with Danny and my little Monroe.

Then we went to the annual swim party where Belle got to meet Grandma Great for the first time.

Day 6

Today I got to shop with Mom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Belle's first Nordies trip. She threw up everywhere. We all handle our excitement differently.

The evening was spent at Brett and Maria's. So excited little Kaia lives in California. Belle and her will be the best of friends. I have decided.

Day 7

Relaxed with fam and went to Tori's bridal shower. Love Grandma's parties. Bobby D's and gifts for everyone.

Day 8

Lunch at Downtown Disney with Streadbecks. I wouldn't let Danny go to Disneyland on this trip. Downtown Disney was the compromise.

At night was my ward shower. So fun. So much clothes.

Photobucket

Day 9

Photo-shoot in the Sandi Gentry Photography studio. Can not wait for those pictures. I will post them as soon as I get them.

Day 10

Friend shower in the morning thrown by Bri and Katie. Book theme. Right up my alley. So classy.

Photobucket

Photobucket

So glad I got to share showers with preg-preg Katie. Less awkward stares at me. She is looking much more interesting these days.

Photobucket

Belle was partied out.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

(Thanks for the stolen pictures Katie)

Party #2- Kaia's 1 year old birthday blowout.

Photobucket

She almost ate HALF of her cake by herself. My kind of niece.

Photobucket

Matching swimsuits!

Photobucket

Massive Jonathon. 1 month older.

I came late. Danny took this picture by himself and photo-shopped my face in.

Photobucket

Boobs.

Baby eventually became over all the socializing.

Photobucket

"She's such a good baby! I promise! Really! Ehhh"

Photobucket

Poop face.

Photobucket

Then we'd get home...and she'd do this:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Day 11

Baby Blessing Extravaganza

Photobucket

With her recent melt downs, I was a little worried about the blessing. But Danny said she was smiling through the whole thing! Phew.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I tried really hard to take some of the boy aura out of the house by hiding basketballs and adding pink wherever I could. We served pink drinks: Blood Orange soda, Strawberry-Kiwi Snapple, and Blueberry Lemonade- which I made myself that morning. Here's the recipe if you're interested: Hot Pink Lemonade.

Photobucket

RayRay was so sweet and drove all the way from Las Vegas that morning to attend. On her birthday. So I made her a cake. Homemade strawberry frosting. Stolen from this blog. Who stole it from this site. Has it finally come to this? Am I really imitating Martha Stewart?

Day 12

Pulled the boys out of school early and spent the day at Doug and Jayme's public private amazing beach in Laguna.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Body boarding.

Photobucket

Streadbecks love photos.

Photobucket

Francis' not so much.

Photobucket

To round out the perfect Southern California day, Danny and I went on our 1st date after baby- dinner at the Summit House. It was our back-up choice of wedding venue. (Over-ruled due to my Dad's capacity requirements.) Perfect way to spend our 3 year wedding anniversary.

It's really interesting, having a blog- (and a husband who is overly excited about pictures), being able to see exactly where you were a year ago. Some things are expected, but some things I never would have guessed.

2006

This was taken the day I met Danny

Photobucket

Never would have guessed I'd be marrying this guy.

2007

We call it "The Disneyland Summer"

Photobucket

Picnic on our lunch breaks (notice the scrubs)

Photobucket

We'd work during the day and go to Disneyland at night. Saving up for the next summer.

2008

We marry

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucket

And travel

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucket

2009

Danny interns in LA and we buy this guy

Photobucket

2010

We graduate

Photobucket

And move to Chicago

Photobucket

2011

I knew Danny would get the job, but I didn't know this time this year we'd have a baby

Photobucket

Whenever I feel stuck in a rut, I have to remind myself- I have no clue the great things life has in store for me. It just gets better and better.

Day 13

The trip home was magical. Long Beach Airport, 3 seats to ourselves, and only a 45 min delay.

Well.

I'm tired of trying to be witty and interesting. You're tired of reading. Lets just end this.

But i guess I should finish by explaining the title.

"Take 1."

The day after we got home to Chicago, Danny was told he would be flown back to LA for a Hallmark commercial shoot. And he says I'm coming with him. In 4 days.

To be continued...

2 comments:

Katie and Cam said...

OMG. If you come back let me know! And seriously, I was thinking the same thing during our showers--sooo glad that Anne is here because I always feel weird when I'm the only one opening presents.

And for reals..Belle is a good baby. She didn't even cry, it was more of an "argh, mom"

The ORR Family said...

I love everything about this. And you. Thank you for making me a cake at your babies party. Thank you for letting me meet Belle. I love her. and mostly you.