http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae26/annestreadbeck/black-heart-01-1.jpg

Friday, June 8, 2012

Back to Utah

Last week our family took an unexpected trip to Utah to attend the funeral of Danny's Grandma, Julia Erickson Streadbeck. It was a sweet celebration of a life well lived, and a nice chance to get together with family again.

Photobucket

I've found that although we ultimately determine our own destinies, they largely are shaped towards what and who we are surrounded by. If you are part of a family that values education- your odds of attending and graduating college go up. If you grow up seeing your mother reading regularly, chances are you will be a better reader. If you grow up in a family of 8 male athletes, you may have to learn the hard way that athletic shoes are not a socially acceptable form of all-purpose footwear.

To my point- I am thankful that the man I chose to marry has a family history of strong marriages. Being surrounded by committed, adoring relationships has made it a priority for him to create and sustain his own. Grandma and Grandpa Streadbeck were married for close to 70 years! And although it wasn't always an easy job, Grandpa took care of her up until her last day on earth. And you thought The Notebook was romantic.

Along that same line, "family" was the theme in the story of her life. She had an astounding amount of knowledge on those that came before her, and she relayed it to the many that were coming after. I think traveling to be together, spending a couple days enjoying each others company was the most appropriate way to honor her legacy.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Ceiling fan


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket





PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket











Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

1 comment:

Shantell said...

I just wanted to leave a quick note of love. I was so sorry to hear about Grandma Streadbeck passing. I hope that love and comfort have been able to fill your hearts. She was an amazing women and very kind. I really loved reading this post and about how thankful you are for a family history of marriage. What an amazing legacy. And something to look forward to pass on to your children.